THANK YOU to Tarbut V’Torah’s Lower School for such an AMAZING student-led book drive! TVT collected 219 new books in just one week, and this school only has 253 students! Here’s Ethan’s video explaining what TVT did and thanking this awesome school. We need more schools like Tarbut to help us create a sustainable library at CHOC Children’s Hospital!
How awesome is this?! A couple weeks ago, fifth graders at Tarbut V’Torah (TVT) organized a book drive at their school book fair, and the Lower School collected a total of 250 new, high-quality books for the library that we are building at CHOC Children’s Hospital! Afterwards, the school invited Ethan to their campus and presented him with the books in a very special school assembly. Afterwards, I sent a thank-you note to the school, and in return I received an amazing note from Laura Roth, the principal of TVT’s Lower School. Principal Roth’s note expressed TVT’s commitment to hold an annual book drive to benefit ECBC and CHOC. We are so excited to have our first Thrive Partner school (a commitment to ongoing annual support)! Thank you TVT! Click here to view Principal Roth’s letter: tarbut-ecbc-thrive-partner-letter
I am sharing this letter in hopes that TVT can hopefully inspire other Orange County schools to get on board and support ECBC’s efforts to build a library for Orange County’s hospitalized kids. Building and maintaining a hospital-based library has some unique demands that include significant built-in loss of books, so we will need to have ongoing support from a variety of sources to create a sustainable library. We’re hoping that Orange County schools can be one key source of support!
Please consider helping your school join Tarbut and become an ECBC Thrive Partner school! Here are four ways your school can help:
- Hold a new book drive at your school. Perhaps get your student leadership on board to organize a school-wide effort.
- Collect new books for ECBC as part of your school’s regular book fairs.
- Organize a book collection effort for ECBC through your school’s Scholastic Reading Club program.
- Collect needed items for Ethan’s Read+Think+Thrive Boxes, which will go to patients at CHOC who are in isolation and can’t borrow books from the Lending Library, as well as to kids battling cancer and life-threatening conditions across the country who have limited access to books. Contact ECBC at ECBC@maxloveproject.org to receive our R+T+T Box Needs List.
* Remember, per hospital policy, all books must be brand new.
Thank you again, TVT, for being our first ECBC Thrive School!