ECBC is currently implementing the programs below to bring books and reading to kids at CHOC Children’s Hospital.
- Bedside Reading Program: ECBC offers bedside reading in patient rooms by trained volunteers, via ECBC’s “Read-Aloud Wagons” with high-quality literature for all ages. Currently, bedside reading occurs twice per week with oncology and neurology patients, with hopes to expand soon to more days and more floors .
- Mobile Book Cart Program. ECBC delivers and gifts books to CHOC patients in isolation via it’s “library on wheels”. The goal is to soon add a lending library cart as well.
- Super Book Give-Aways. ECBC hosts monthly Super Book Give-Aways in the lobby of CHOC alongside MaxLove Project’s BeSuper Party.
- Read+Think+Thrive Book Bags. These are high-quality book bags for kids newly diagnosed with cancer. Each bag contains a mini-library of 10 new books and crafting supplies. Currently, bags are being gifted to patients at CHOC Children’s, with some additional bags going to kids around the U.S.
- BOO-KS for Treats. This is ECBC’s annual Halloween event, where CHOC patients of all ages trick-or-treat for new, high-quality Halloween-themed books.
- Outpatient Infusion Center deliveries. ECBC stocks the shelves at CHOC’s Outpatient Infusion Center (OPI) with approximately 100-120 books per month.
- Storytime with Ethan & Choco. Ethan (along with stuffed CHOCO) hosts a storytime sharing his favorite children’s literature that is broadcasted through Seacrest Studios (CHOC’s radio station) in patient rooms. Ethan decided to create this show when all ECBC programs were halted by CHOC due to the novel Coronavirus outbreak.
- Special Events. Occasionally, ECBC hosts special events for patients at CHOC that celebrate books and reading. For example, ECBC has participated in CHOC’s Inpatient Cancer Survivorship Day on the oncology floor as well as provided storytime and book gifting to CHOC patients living at Miracle Manor.