ECBC’s Bedside Reading program includes the following:
- Expert, trained volunteers who read aloud to optimize engagement, dialogue, good thinking, and literacy skills.
- High-quality literature for patients of all ages from infancy through teens and young adults. Featured books for each age category are selected monthly.
- Crafting supplies for book-inspired creative activities
- “Book Bands” reading incentive program, which is a collection of ten silicon bracelets with phrases about reading that patients receive for saying “yes” to a book or a read aloud.
- Materials for parents and caregivers with guidelines for reading with their kids through treatment and hospitalizations.
- Radio-flyer wagons to carry all bedside reading program supplies in a fun and patient-friendly way