This week, Girl Scout Troop 3244 hosted an AWESOME support event to raise awareness and funds/supplies for ECBC’s Read+Think+Thrive Box program for kids who are diagnosed with cancer. This event, which the troop fully funded and organized, included:
- A new book drive, with a children’s book off our book box wish list as the admission ticket
- Stations to create items for our book boxes, such as bookmark decorating and box decorating
- Stations that celebrate books and reading, including storytime, book inspired food crafting and treat, and a game station.
- Guest speaker Ethan who was invited to share his story of founding ECBC
- An ECBC patch for all Girl and Boy Scouts who attend
The girls also did a tremendous amount of preparation for their event, including formulating plans for the event and the activities at each station, making a book donation box, designing a flyer for advertising, making samples and signs decor for each station, distributing flyers to their community, designing and official patch for the event, various pre-event meetings to assign roles and cover all necessary. A tremendous group effort indeed!
The troop’s event resulted in the following donations:
- 115+ new books from ECBC’s wish lists for our book boxes
- $110 in donations for art supplies for the book boxes
- 21 awesomely decorated book boxes
- 35 laminated youth-made reading themed bookmarks
- A girl scout/boy scout patch design for future scout events supporting ECBC, plus a donation of 50 patches to ECBC
What an absolutely terrific model this troop created for other girl scouts or philanthropic groups to use to support our book box program! THANK YOU to this terrific troop, and their amazing leader Jill Pang, for your hard work on this the las few months and for choosing ECBC for your Bronze Award project! We so appreciate you, and especially your creativity and inititiative in designing a new way to support our program — which helps our infant charity grow as an organization!
If your group is interested in hosting their own Book Drive & Thrive Party to support our Read+Think+Thrive Box program, please contact us at Ali@ECbookclub.com.