April’s book delivery to ECBC’s library cart and shelves at CHOC outpatient oncology clinic and infusion center!
Today was book delivery day for ECBC at CHOC Outpatient Oncology — we re-stocked our library cart at the Outpatient Infusion Center, re-filled bookshelves at the Oncology Clinic, and replenished inventory of Read Think Thrive Bags for new cancer diagnoses. Cancer diagnoses are WAY up right now, especially among teens. Which I hate hearing so much. But i love that through ECBC we can help kids thrive through treatment by gifting them a mini library of wonderful new books.
Our regular book donations to ECBC have all but stopped, with nothing coming in from school book fairs or community events. To help us sustain our book gifting programs, please CLICK HERE to make a cash donation or click on these links to donate a book from our Amazon Wish Lists: Board books, Spanish books, all types of books.
A HUGE thank you to Baum Orthodontics and patients for this totally awesome donation of almost 300 new books of ALL types, from board books and picture books to graphic novels and awesome nonfiction! A fantastic first donation of the year!! These will provide most of what we need for our donations this Friday to CHOC’s Outpatient Infusion Center and also to CHOC’s Oncology clinic. We appreciate your support so much, and boy does it make a difference right now!
This week ECBC delivered our first books of the year, 360 of them — 168 books to re-stock our library cart at the Outpatient Infusion Center and 192 books to fill up our newly established Gifting Library at CHOC’s outpatient oncology clinic. Now, every child visiting CHOC’s Outpatient Infusion Center and the Oncology Clinic will be offered a new, high-quality and age-appropriate book at their visits.
The cost to replenish these gifting libraries is about $3000/month, which we hope we can sustain but depend 100% on donations in order to do so. To help with a monetary donation, click here. Currently, we are lowest on board books and Spanish books, with no backup supply at all. To donate either of these types of books, click here (board books) and here (Spanish). We also are very low on information/fact books (click here to purchase off the wish list), graphic novels (click here), and teen/young adult books (click here).
Thank you for helping kids thrive through treatment with high-quality books and reading!
2020 was hard all around, including for tiny nonprofits like ECBC. When Covid hit in March, we had to stop all our inpatient volunteer-based reading activities, which are the backbone of ECBC programming and relatively low cost. We weren’t able to hold our in-person BOOK IT charity run, which is ECBC’s only formal fundraiser of the year. And, our ongoing large book donations have completely stopped due to the lack of onsite school book fairs and other in-person group events. That being said, 2020 was an opportunity for ECBC to grow in other ways, including by:
- Forming our initial Board of Directors comprised of 8 amazing board members, and having our first two Board meetings in July and November.
- Filing taxes for the first time, with 2019 being our first year as an approved 501(c)3 public-benefit corporation.
- Hosting a fully virtual BOOK IT fundraising campaign, which helped to expand our community of supporters and raised enough funds for ECBC to resume some of our covid-modified programs upon hospital approval.
- Converting our book box program to book bags per new infectious disease requirements (concerns about cardboard); having our first “mega bag packaging day” and finally having bulk inventory for delivery (thank you to local girl scouts), and as of September putting in place systematic delivery of Read Think Thrive Bags (which contain a mini library of 10 high-quality books curated by age and gender of the recipient) to every new oncology diagnosis at CHOC Children’s Hospital.
- Launching a new outpatient oncology book gifting program and library cart, which involves offering high-quality age-appropriate books to all kids entering CHOC’s Outpatient Infusion Center. Per covid-based restrictions on the inpatient side, this shift to book gifting through outpatient has led to a new and terrific partnership with outpatient oncology staff.
- Gifting significant numbers of wonderful holiday-themed books on Halloween and for the December holidays — to CHOC inpatients, outpatients, and patients and siblings living at Miracle Manor.
Going forward in 2021, ECBC hopes to continue to promote hospitalized kids’ cognitive health and thrivership by:
- Sustaining our ongoing outpatient gifting library cart and our Read Think Thrive Bags for new cancer diagnoses
- Expanding our outpatient book gifting to the CHOC oncology clinic, so that every child that visits the clinic will be also offered a book (not just those visiting the infusion center).
- Formally launching Teens Thrive Reading Group, our new virtual book club for teen cancer patients and survivors that gifts Kindles and monthly e-books to participants. We will be recruiting participants from CHOC’s AYA (adolescent and young adult) group, and we will also work on online methods to recruit outside of CHOC teen cancer warriors who might be interested in participating.
- Developing ways to provide parents with information and resources to help them optimally support their kids’ cognitive health and thrivership through treatment with books and reading. The hope is that this can include online methods as well as eventual in-person group sessions with parents during hospital stays.
- Resuming and growing our inpatient reading programs as soon as our volunteers are allowed to enter the hospital again. Pre-covid, we were preparing to expand to more days per week, more patient floors, and our first bit of physical patient-use space to build a reading nook. As covid restrictions are lifted, we will be eager to return to growing our impact on kids’ thrivership during their hospital stays with rich literature-based reading programs.
A HUGE thank you to our amazing community for supporting ECBC during this especially difficult time — every monetary donation, book donation, and social media shout-out has mattered and we are deeply grateful. To start off 2021 with a monetary donation, please CLICK HERE. To donate a book off our wish list, CLICK HERE.
Thank you for helping ECBC help hospitalized kids to thrive with high-quality books and reading experiences!
Merry Christmas from Ethan & Choco’s Book Club! #storytimewithethanandchoco #dasher #readthinkthrive #thriveagainstcancer
ECBC was so thrilled to deliver holiday book bags to CHOC patients and siblings living at Miracle Manor. This was our second year gifting holiday books to Miracle Manor families, and while we missed not being able to host story time with Santa like we did last year, it is such a treat to be able to provide books that were curated according every recipient’s specific interest. We gifted titles ranging from Mickey House and Baby Shark to baseball, gaming, and fashion — and so much more! A huge thank you to Mary Kay and Claire Viscounty for assembling the beautiful bags as well delivering the books today. And thank you to Janis Leach’s 3rd graders for writing personal holiday notes for every recipient! And of course thank you to all our donors, most of whom donate books on an ongoing basis which allows us to keep on helping hospitalized kids thrive with books and reading.
Happy 1st night of Hanukkah from ECBC! Here’s this week’s storytime with Ethan & Choco: Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins, a Hanukkah family favorite and a wonderful read-aloud for all. To donate this book or another holiday book for CHOC patients, below are the links to our wish lists. We still need many books for our upcoming holiday book deliveries to CHOC and Miracle Manor!
CLICK HERE for CHOC Wish List.
CLICK HERE for Miracle Manor Wish List
Thank you for helping hospitalized kids thrive through the holidays with books and reading!
We just delivered our first of several holiday book donations to CHOC Children’s Hospital! This one went to the Outpatient Infusion Center, where kids (largely oncology patients) spend a couple hours to all day for infusions– we re-stocked our outpatient library cart with almost 200 December holiday-themed books! We just love spreading some literary joy with high-quality books that look fun enough to get kids to put their screens down for just a bit!
We have a few more holiday book gifting commitments in the coming weeks — including to CHOC’s inpatient side and to Miracle Manor (Miracles for Kids’ subsidized housing for CHOC patients and families). Our deadlines for delivery are coming up in the 10 -12 days and we’ll need to purchase books soon to fill gaps — so PLEASE donate now/soon if you can!!!
Click HERE to donate a book for patients and siblings living at Miracle Manor (books on this list are selected/curated for specific kids based on each child’s age and interest).
Click HERE to to donate a book for kids who are inpatient at CHOC Children’s Hospital.
THANK YOU for helping ECBC to help hospitalized kids thrive through the holidays with high-quality books and reading!