A HUGE thank you to National Charity League’s North Tustin chapter for the 172 books that they donated, which were collected as part of their Tea and Fashion Show! And, another huge thank you to Fidelity National for the 150 books and wagon that they just donated as a result of the book drive they held in their office in the month of February. Both book drives used ECBC’s Amazon wish lists and yielded all high-quality titles that will be put to immediate use in our programs at CHOC Children’s Hospital. THANK YOU NCL and Fidelity, we SO appreciate your support! And thank you April Anderson and Makayla Turner for taking the lead in organizing these efforts!!
Here’s Ethan’s monthly thank you and book request video for the month of February. This year, each month Ethan is asking for the books that he requested in our initial year of bookraising for ECBC, back in 2016 — when he made a “Book Look video” of a favorite book on each day of the year, for 366 straight days. Please check out this video to learn more. The wish list (CLICK HERE) contains all of the titles that he requested each day of the month in 2016 and now again in 2020, with the number of copies of the title that ECBC still needs. As with all of our wish lists, all books purchased from this list will be sent directly to ECBC. If you’d like to check out the video book review plug that Ethan made four years ago for any of the books on the list, the links to each of the videos are provided below.
Thank you so much for supporting ECBC’s growing programs at CHOC Children’s Hospital!
Link to Amazon “Book Look” Wish List: CLICK HERE
Links to Ethan’s February Book Look video plugs from 2016
- #32, February 1: The Pencil (Allan Ahlberg, Bruce Ingman)
- #33, February 2: Mike Lupica’s sports chapter books (Mike Lupica)
- #34, February 3: Mercy Watson series (Kate DiCamillo, Chris Van Dusen)
- #35, February 4: Fanny (Holly Hobbie)
- #36, February 5: The Soda Bottle School (Laura Kutner, Suzanne Slade, Aileen Darragh)
- #37, February 6: Queen of the Falls (Chris Van Allsburg)
- #38, February 7: Stephen Hawking’s chapter book trilogy (Stephen Hawking, Lucy Hawking, Gary Parsons)
- #39, February 8: The Farmer and the Clown (Marla Frazee)
- #40, February 9: Tikki Tikki Tembo (Arlene Mosel, Blair Lent)
- #41, February 10: The Boy Who Grew Flowers (Jennifer Wojtowicz, Steve Adams)
- #42, February 11: Strega Nona (Tomie dePaola)
- #43, February 12: Miss Rumphius (Barbara Cooney)
- #44, February 13: The BFG (Roald Dahl)
- #45, February 14: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (William Steig)
- #46, February 15: The Lemonade Club (Patricia Polacco)
- #47, February 16: Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud (Suzanne Jurmain, Larry Day)
- #48, February 17: Rapunzel (Paul Zelinsky)
- #49, February 18: Ira Sleeps Over (Bernard Waber)
- #50, February 19: The Chocolate Touch (Patrick Catling, Margot Apple)
- #51, February 20: Hands-On Science Fun series (Pebble Press)
- #52, February 21: The Memory String (Eve Bunting, Ted Rand)
- #53, February 22: Holes (Louis Sachar)
- #54, February 23: Cloudette (Tom Lichtenheld)
- #55, February 24: Clever Jack Takes the Cake (Candace Fleming)
- #56, February 25: Rotten Teeth (Laura Simms, David Catrow)
- #57, February 26: Some Dogs Do (Jez Alborough)
- #58, February 27: Corduroy (Don Freeman)
- #59, February 28: Chalk (Bill Thomson)
- #60, February 29: Crafty Chloe (Kelly DiPucchio)
A HUGE, long overdue THANK YOU to Mary Kay Viscounty and Perry Viscounty for collecting books rather than hostess gifts at your Christmas party in December. 100 terrific new books, plus a stash of Amazon gift cards. THANK YOU! We SO appreciate that you rallied your guests to support reading for kids at CHOC Children’s Hospital! And thank you to everyone who contributed!
Another FANTASTIC donation from Baum Orthodontics! 120 terrific books!
A GIGANTIC thank you to Tarbut V’ Torah’s Lower School for their amazing donation of 310 awesome books, which they collected during their recent Scholastic Book Fair. This is TVT’s 4th consecutive year holding a book drive for ECBC, and this donation is the largest number of books we have received from a school to date! THANK YOU TVT for your ongoing commitment to ECBC and reading for kids at CHOCk Children’s Hospital; we appreciate your support so very much. A special thank you to TVT kindergartener and Leukemia warrior Liam for helping to deliver the books! What a terrific way to start off 2020!
There’s only one day left of 2019! If you’d like to make a year-end gift to support books and reading for kids at CHOC Children’s Hospital, click HERE to access the PayPal link. Now that ECBC is an IRS approved nonprofit 501(c)(3), all donations are tax deductible (EIN 83-2934289). Your donation in any amount makes a significant difference in contributing to kids’ thrivership through treatment, especially cancer and other life-threatening/life-altering illness. If you have already made a year-end book or monetary donation, THANK YOU!!
PLEASE HELP! ECBC just agreed to participate in a new holiday event that is occurring in just a few days, and we’re looking for some support to pull it off!
On Friday December 6th, Miracle Manor (a home subsidized by Miracles for Kids for 12 low-income CHOC families with critically ill children) will be hosting a holiday event for their families, and ECBC was invited to provide storytime and books for all of the kids! Our goal is to provide two books for each of the approximately thirty children who live at Miracle Manor, with books picked out specially to match the ages, gender, and interests of each child. So, we are in need of some quick donations! You can help in one of these two ways: (1) donate via PayPal by clicking on HERE, or (2) donate a book off an Amazon wish list that ECBC created specifically for Miracle Manor kids (click HERE). Books bought off this list will go directly to ECBC with donor name written on the bookplate. We would SO appreciate your help so that we so we can provide specific titles that these children will be excited to read!
Also, ECBC needs holiday-themed books for our bedside reading program, to gift to patients in isolation, and for our annual holiday book give away event in the CHOC Children’s Hospital lobby. Please click HERE to buy books from this wish list!
THANK YOU for helping CHOC patients and families THRIVE through treatment during the holiday season!
This is the last week to donate to ECBC’s Halloween Book Drive for our annual BOO-KS for Treats at CHOC Children’s Hospital. Please click below to view Ethan’s video plug. You may CLICK HERE to purchase Halloween-themed books from our Amazon Wish List — all books purchased will be sent directly to ECBC and donor names written on bookplates.
ECBC Co-Founders Ethan and his mom Ali spent the day at the Orange County Children’s Book Festival working hard to raise awareness and collect a few book donations too. It’s hard to believe this is ECBC’s 4th year at the OC Children’s Book Festival!
A HUGE thank you to everyone who brought, purchased, and donated books at our onsite book drive at ECBC’s BOOK IT! charity run! At one to 20 books a person, every book makes a difference! A special thank you to SCHOLASTIC for your super generous donation of a fantastic collection of books. Coupled with our online book drive, the book drive part of our fundraiser provides us with several months worth of books for our events and programs.
We are currently giving away approximately 400 new books per month to patients at CHOC between our various commitments, with the demand increasing as we continue to expand our programs. One of our next goals is to get to floors other than Oncology and Neurology! Our online BOOK IT fundraising/bookraising campaign will be running for another few weeks (until October 8th). If you haven’t yet had a chance to contribute, please consider clicking HERE to donate fund a new hardcover book ($20) or a book box for kids diagnosed with cancer ($100).
THANK YOU for helping ECBC help Orange County’s hospitalized kids thrive through treatment with high-quality books and read-alouds!