Do you want to buddy up with a kid battling cancer and inspire him or her to respond to a book through writing or artwork? If so, here’s how:
- Choose any book to read, or have someone read you a book aloud.
- Using the Ethan’s ReadThinkThrive challenge response sheet (click on this link and print the sheet), write or draw a thoughtful response to one of these four thinking prompts:
– Draw or paint a picture of your favorite character, a setting in the story, or your favorite part of the story.
– Write a review of the book, including a summary and why you like or dislike it. – Write and/or draw “one more page” that you predict would come after the last page in the book, using the same style for the words and illustrations that the author used.
– Make a “better” cover for the book, with what you think would be a better title and cover illustration.
- Click here to download and print Ethan’s RTT Box Thrive Buddy Postcard , and print and fill out the postcard.
- Send your completed RTT Challenge Response Sheet and your completed Thrive Buddy postcard to Ethan & Choco’s Book Club. If you wish to submit these via e-mail, please take photos of them both and send the files to ECBC@maxloveproject.org, with “RTT Box Reading Buddy” in the subject line. If you wish to submit via land mail, please mail your response and postcard to Ethan & Choco’s Book Club, 11451 Plantero Drive, Santa Ana, CA 92705.
Each set of Thrive Buddy materials (response sheet + postcard) will be included in a RTT Box going to a SuperKid battling cancer or another life-threatening condition. Every RTT Box recipient will receive the same challenge to respond to a book through writing or art, and our hope is that reading buddies will encourage some SuperKids to participate as well!
Kids of all ages are welcome to participate!